Yesterday I shared my favorite recipe for a basic salsa, today I am introducing you to yet another dip obsession of mine…guacamole. I love anything with avocados, yes, even the raw chocolate mousse made from them. They are not only delicious but they are packed full of nutrients, essential vitamins and minerals. Take a look at how jam packed 1/5 of a avocado is with nutrients:
Guacamole is a very cheap and easy to make at home. Currently, at Publix you can get a 7oz package of Wholly Guacamole for $3.49. Now, I do think this brand is really good and if you need to have some in a pinch I would recommend it. But, there is absolutely no need to spend that amount when you could make it for a fraction of the cost at home.
Here the price break-down for my recipe, it makes roughly 2 1/2-3 cups:
- $.96 (4) Haas avocado @ Aldi – if you do not have an Aldi near by Costco has a 6pk for $4.99 and Publix is $1 each.
- $.46 (2) roma tomato’s @ Aldi
- $.25 (1) lemon @ Publix
- Spices and oils I had on hand: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper
TOTAL = $1.67 + the ingredients I had at home already.
You absolutely cannot argue with that price! It is different than your typical guacamole because I add the dressing, but I really enjoyed the extra creaminess it provided. Give it a try this weekend and tell me what you think.
- 4 ripe avocado
- 4 Roma Tomato
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping t. cumin
- Half lemon, squeezed
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Chop the avocado and tomato and place in a medium size bowl. Whisk dressing in separate bowl and pour over the avocado and tomato mixture. Chill and serve.